Sunday, November 02, 2008

Design Studio Tips - getting a true "Flip Shape" when you've rotated or slanted the original image

You're flipping a shape that you have slanted. It slants the flipped shape alright, but you want a true flipped shape - one that is symmetric to the original. Just go up to the "Shape Properties" Box in the upper right hand corner and put a negative sign (or if it's negative, take the negative sign off) in front of the number in the slant box. (note: just ignore the welding box that I have checked for this first set of instuctions-it was for the project I was doing)
  1. Here is the original shape, which I have already slanted using the arrow in the upper right hand corner: Photobucket Photobucket
  2. I click "copy, paste, flip shapes" because I want both the original and a flip shape for what I am creating: Photobucket Notice I have moved the pasted shape to the right so that you can see what it looks like without the shapes overlapping.
  3. Now, I go to the shape properties box and put a negative sign in front of the number in the slant box (and then hit enter): Photobucket
  4. Your screen will look like this: Photobucket

The exact same principle applies when you have rotated a shape and you want a true right-to-left flipped shape

  1. Here's the original shape: PhotobucketPhotobucket
  2. I've pressed "copy, paste, flip shapes" and moved the copied shape to the right a bit so you can see it better: Photobucket
  3. I put a negative sign in front of the number in the rotate box: Photobucket
  4. Now this is what our screen looks like: Photobucket

Easy enough, huh? I often use the flip shape feature when I want to make a symmetric shape (the original and the flip shape together), so this comes in handy. NOTE: your flipped shape still has the arrows all in the same location as if it were an original shape.





A Proud member of The Lime Light. Click on over to see what we are doing.

1 comment:

  1. Great advice! This is one of those "I can't believe I never thought of that!" moments. Whew! Just saved me lots of time, Gracie. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Want to know the best way to look for a job? Check out http://jobhuntingwarrior.blogspot.com/

Feel free to add your pic, a pet's pic...whatever makes you happy!

Looking for the FREE ZONE (free blog background sites, free font sites...)

That information has been moved to the Imagine That Plus site so that this site will load faster (that one doesn't have as much, and everything is pretty much in posts & not at the bottom of every page so it loads at a pretty good rate).
  • Click HERE to go to the free fonts list
  • Click HERE to go to the list of Creative Memories consultants
  • Click HERE for the list of places that have free blog backgrounds
  • HERE is a list of very helpful Cricut links, including the ones above