Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Some Cricut Design Studio Basics

Those pesky arrows. Let's take a look at them & what they mean.

You click on a shape and it looks like this:

Photobucket

This is what the shape properties box looks like at this point. It has the height, width, and X and Y coordinates of the shape. X just means how far to the right of the green line on the left the shape is, and Y means how far down the image is from the green line at the top.

Photobucket

So, the image is 1.101 inches down from the green line (not the grey line which you have to be within to be able to cut on your Cricut) at the top, and it is .223 inches from the green line at the left. The image is 1.069 inches wide and 1.069 inches tall.

Referring to the picture below, here is what all of the arrows mean:

Photobucket

  • black circle-you are moving the entire image any direction you wish (the actual shape of the image itself is not altered)
  • yellow circle-you are moving the image horizontally, or right to left only (the actual shape of the image itself is not altered)
  • brown circle-you are rotating the image (the actual shape of the image itself is not altered)
  • green circle-you are stretching (or reducing the shape of) the image vertically
  • purple circle-you are making the shape larger (or smaller) while keeping it in proportion; you are basically stretching it vertically and horizontally at the same time
  • blue circle-you are stretching (or reducing the shape of) the image horizontally
  • orange circle-you are slanting the image

With the arrows still highlighting the square, you click more shapes:

Photobucket

Now if the arrows weren't around the square or your image of choice when you clicked on additional images, you'd be starting another character string independent of your original image. But since we want to manipulate all of the images as a group, we made sure that the square was highlighted with the blue arrows when we clicked on additional shapes.

So what happens if I put my mouse (arrow, or whatever you may have changed that arrow to) on the rotate arrow (black arrow in blue circle) and move it around?

Photobucket

Notice that the actual shapes haven't changed, just where they are on the mat. Side note: if I were actually going to cut these out, I would make sure they were inside the faded grey line.

This is what the shape properties box looks like at this time. I've also circled the "turn 90" box in yellow -- it comes in handy when you want to turn your shape 90 degrees.

Photobucket

OK, if I want to use the slant arrow, I put my mouse on the arrow and move it around until I get the desired shape:

Photobucket

This is what the shape properties box looks like at this point:
Photobucket


If I want to stretch the shape vertically, I put my mouse on the bottom middle arrow and move it down until I get the desired shape:

Photobucket

And if I want to make it wider, or stretch it out horizontally:
Photobucket

That's today's lesson. But the arrows change a bit when the image is rotated 90 degrees+...

Remember this: if the points on either side of the arrow are of equal size, it moves the image itself and does not change the shape of the image. If the arrows are unequal in size, you are going to be stretching the image one way or the other. The rotate and slant arrows are enough different that it's easy to differentiate them. Rotate does not change the shape of the image while slant does.








A Proud member of The Lime Light. Click on over to see what we are doing.

2 comments:

  1. I wish that I'd have known you before I got so frustrated and sold my Design Studio on Ebay! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having trouble with getting the arrows to come back. Sometimes I can get them - and other times I am clicking forever and nothing happens. Then I just delete everything and walk away. I am soooooo computer literate - but this program is driving me crazy! How do I get the arrows to come back so that I can alter the images or even weld the images together?
    Thanks for your blog - it has been helpful!!

    ReplyDelete

Want to know the best way to look for a job? Check out http://jobhuntingwarrior.blogspot.com/

Feel free to add your pic, a pet's pic...whatever makes you happy!

Looking for the FREE ZONE (free blog background sites, free font sites...)

That information has been moved to the Imagine That Plus site so that this site will load faster (that one doesn't have as much, and everything is pretty much in posts & not at the bottom of every page so it loads at a pretty good rate).
  • Click HERE to go to the free fonts list
  • Click HERE to go to the list of Creative Memories consultants
  • Click HERE for the list of places that have free blog backgrounds
  • HERE is a list of very helpful Cricut links, including the ones above